Thursday, September 16, 2010

Happy 6 Month Anniversary!!



I am not one for celebrating anniversaries. The only "anniversaries" I ever had were dating and living in New York. As far as dating anniversaries go... meh. I know most girls might disagree with me. But seriously, if you're not married it just never completely made sense to me. (not to say that I didn't celebrate said anniversaries. It felt very adult at 16. And by now you should know I'm EXTREMELY adult.) Stephan and I have been dating roughly a year and three months, give or take. I use roughly and give or take because we aren't even sure when we started dating.

But today I am reconsidering anniversaries in general.

Why? BECAUSE IT IS MY 6 MONTH ANNIVERSARY OF WEARING BRACES.

Now I have never been married that I know of. (Vegas in the 7th grade was crazy. Maggie and I won 2,000 tickets at Circus Circus and drank too much Coke. Anything could have happened.) I also have never had a child. (Can you picture me pregnant with braces? It is the funniest thought to my friend Kirsten. Her and I disagree on this). And finally, I have never retired from a job after 50 years. But I HAVE graduated from high school and college. So I am slightly aware of what accomplishment feels like.

So I ask all those reading this who previously wore braces, didn't you feel a lack of congratulations and pampering on the anniversaries of your braces?? Shouldn't people have made you a cake saying "You made it this far!" or "Congrats on looking better!" or even "That much closer to not being weirded out by your smile!" I want to go back to my middle school brace-free self and bake a cake for all of my friends when they hit an important brace marker and then throw them a party when they come off!

Today is MY anniversary. To celebrate, I did a few things. First, I wrote a Braces Haiku:

I lasted six months.
Keep the pliers away, so
I'll make it six more.


Then, I took my braces to the beach and bought them a gift of 4 tubes of toothpaste. If you feel the desire to celebrate with me, I am registered at: Dr. Newhart Orthodontics in Los Angeles and the dental care section of Target.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns?